If you have begun the process of greenhouse shopping you may find yourself faced with an array of unfamiliar terminology or maybe just some things you would like cleared up. We are here to help! Below is a list of common terms you will come across during your greenhouse search.
- Sidewall: the straight side of the greenhouse. The length of this part determines your "Sidewall Height".
- Endwall: the front or back framing of the structure. Can be wood or metal.
- Bow: the curved steel tubing that makes the top of the structure
- Gutter: the channel placed in the space on the roof between bays of a gutter connected greenhouse where the bows meet to accommodate water runoff.
- Purlin: the steel tubing that runs along the roof from the front to the back of the structure.
- Truss: the horizontal and vertical pipes that run from side to side in a greenhouse. These are not included in every structure. The provide additional support for structures in adverse weather conditions or in applications where there will be items hanging from the structure.
11. Roll up curtain: opens via a manual crank handle, a gearbox, or a motor to allow passive exchange of air through the structure.
12. Roll bar: attaches to the curtain covering to roll up the material. Standard curtain kits come with a single roll bar. Premium kits have a double roll bar.
13. Holdback: used to keep the curtain stable. Our holdbacks are metal tubing rather than cables and attach to the frame at every other sidewall post.
14. Premium roll up curtain kit: upgrade of the standard roll up curtain to include a double roll bar, a gearbox with a brake, and woven curtain material.
19. Eave angle: replaces the need for wood as a hip board. It is a piece of metal that runs down the side of the structure at the top of the sidewall where the tubing starts to bend for the bow.
20. Base angle: replaces the need for wood as a base board. It is a piece of metal that runs across the front and back of the structure at the base. It will also go down the sides of the structure if there are no roll up curtains. This is what you attach your Wire Lock Base to in order to hold down the bottom of your poly covering.